You may add the Google Analytics tracking code to you site either manually or with a plugin. There are many plugins that can help you do this, but I have selected a very simple one, that get the job done simple and sweet.
Adding Google Analytics manually
- Login wordpress admin panel
- Goto Appearance > Editor (theme editor)
- Select the footer.php or index.php
- Find the </body> html tag
- Copy and page the Google Analytics code before the </body> tag.
- Don’t forget to click Update File to save changes.
The only problem with the manual installation is that if you swap your wordpress themes you will loose your Google Analytics tracking. That is why it is better to handle the Google Analytics tracking code within a plugin. The selected plugin is a simple plugin with no-mumbo-jumbo.
Where do I find my UI tracking code ?
- Log in to Google Analytics at http://www.google.com/analytics
- From the Overview page, select the account that has the profile for the tracking code you’re looking for, as the code is profile-specific.
- Select the profile from the accounts Overview page.
- From that profile’s Actions column, click Edit
- At the top right of the ‘Main Website Profile Information’ box, click Check Status
- Your tracking code can be copied and pasted from the text box in the Instructions for adding tracking section
Adding Google Analytics with the Header-Footer plugin
- Download and install the Header-Footer plugin
- Goto Settings > Header-Footer
- Cut and paste the google tracking code in the bottom footer textbox.
If you are looking for a more advanced feature packed plugin that can also handle the above and more, you might want to try HeadSpace2.
Please note that this tip requires wordpress installed on your webhost.Tweet This Post!